Who are we?
PRAC is Western Autistic School’s research unit. It also links with the Autism Teaching Institute, the training arm of Western Autistic School.
What we do.
We are concerned with the application of clinical research in autism to real life school environments. Our work is informed by the experience gained in practice at WAS over many years, taking the individual child as the focus of our pedagogy.
Translating Research to Practice
For teachers, school leaders and students.
Also find here latest research summaries.
- Provision of relevant research findings to school leaders, teachers, school staff, students, and school community.
- Repository of information for schools and school communities.
- Research draws on and informs the courses for professionals engaged in training at the Autism Teaching Institute.
- Support of post-graduate students and cooperation and collaboration with research communities through meetings, discussion groups, forums etc.
- Informing and influencing educational public policy.
- Effectiveness of Evidence Supported Practices for individual students and at different stages of schooling;
- Student voice and student perspectives in education;
- Teacher fidelity in implementation of interventions;
- Research based literacy and numeracy interventions to address learning needs of students across different age and stages of schooling, and the nature of reading and writing difficulties/differences and teaching programs;
- Research supported peer group social relationships programs;
- Efficacy of technology, communication aids and other assistive technology designed to support social and communication expression;
- The nature of cognitive processes; assessment of cognitive abilities as an alternative to intelligence assessment;
- Outcomes of Parent Training programs and what parents want as outcomes for their children at school.Research topics will include for example:
P.R.A.C. will disseminate the results of its research through publications, conferences, and workshops, and providing web-based resources and consultancy.
Western Autistic School is located on the unceded lands and waterways of the Yalukit-willam peoples; acknowledges them as the Traditional Owners and pays respect to their Elders, past and present and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
Western Autistic School is proud to be recognised by the DEECD as a Centre of Excellence in the Understanding and Education of Students with ASD.
P.R.A.C. 98 Ascotvale Road Flemington Vic 3031 Australia
Ph +613 9376 1361